English Language Laboratory
This is second stride in 21st century. It is observed that language laboratory is the best option to train students. Technology is bringing innovative changes in language laboratory and thus language laboratory is getting equipped with software. Now, English Language Laboratory is not the stockpiles of cassette tapes, CD players and microphones that some of the students experienced a decade ago. But, they’re computer rooms with designed software to give students a unique and customizable learning experience.
The college has well-furnished and a licensed Multilingual Interactive ETNL Language Laboratory Software (4.0 Version) in the department of English. The language lab is having one teacher console and 40 students console with necessary electronic equipment’s, like- L.C.D Projector, Smart Board, etc. The students of Functional English and Special English classes use it to enhance the communication skills in reading, writing, speaking and listening, with emphasis on grammar and vocabulary. This also facilitates to the teacher to conduct tests and assignments to evaluate the students’ comprehension. The Digital English Language Laboratory provides an equal opportunity for the students to be instructed and also to be heard by their instructor. The digital laboratory offers psychological privacy to help even hesitant students to promote their speaking ability.
The language lab focuses computer-aided multi-media instruction and language acquisition to achieve the following targets:
- To expose the students to a variety of self-instructional, learner friendly modes of language learning.
- To enable them to learn better pronunciation through stress on word accent, intonation, and rhythm.
- To train the students to use language effectively to face interviews, group discussions, public speaking.
- To enhance the attention and listening skills of the students and train them linguistically fluent.
- To cope up with the education system and help the rural, non- English background students for career building.
English language laboratory practice
- Introduction to Phonetics.
- Introduction to Vowels and Consonants and associated Phonetic symbols.
- Introduction to Accent, Intonation and Rhythm.
- Situational Dialogues/Role Play.
- Public Speaking.
- Group Discussions
- Facing Interviews
- Resume preparation
- e- correspondence
English Language Laboratory is stepping away from traditional drills and worksheets and getting the students more engaged in grammar and its functional usages. Teachers of the department are using it to cultivate decent pronunciation, to conduct guided study sessions, like- English-language videos, including movie trailers, news making , inspiring talks, etc. that come with clickable captions and built-in learning activities.
A linguistic interaction between the teacher and 40 students in the laboratory becomes healthy because the necessary attention is given to each student.